1. “Allocation”: A general model of an ecosystem locates positions in the flow of energy and materials to the Sun, atmospheric gases, water, nutrients, plants, decomposers, herbivores, and carnivores. What position would you allocate to human beings?
2. “Locusts or Rats” Given the growth rate of the human population in recent centuries, would locusts or rats be justified in describing human beings as a planetary plague? Why?
3. “Twentieth Century World Population Explosion” Watch the podcast, “Distilled Demographics Mortality Rate” from the Population Reference Bureau (PRB) at http://www.prb.org/Journalists/Webcasts/2010/distilleddemographics3.aspx
In this video, PRB senior demographer Carl Haub explains how “crude” birth rates, the total fertility rate, and replacement-level fertility rates are measured. Using examples from various countries, why do these measures matter for public health and economic development?
a) Watch the podcast, “Distilled Demographics: Mortality Rate” from the Population Reference Bureau (PRB) at http://www.prb.org/Journalists/Webcasts/2010/distilleddemographics4.aspx
In this video, PRB senior demographer Carl Haub discusses the trends behind this “revolution” in mortality, explains how “crude” death rates are measured. Using examples from various countries, why do these measures matter for public health and economic development?
4. Webliography: Population Reference Bureau http://www.prb.org
Answer the following questions after viewing:
a) What does the term demography mean?
b) What does Haub mean when he says, “Demography is destiny”? Use an example from the video to support your answer.
5. “Stages of Development” Examine the 2011 population pyramids for Sudan, Japan, and the USA at www.census.gov. Describe the characteristics of the opulation and identify the services necessary to serve this population over the next 10 to 15 years.
To view the population pyramids, use the US Census Bureau website at http://www.census.gov.
– Go to People and Households and click on International
– Click on IDB (International Data Base)
– Click on Data Access
– Select Country (Sudan, Japan and the USA)
– Year: 2011
– Click Submit
– Click Demographic Indicators to review the data
– Click Population Pyramid to view pyramids
Use the demographic indicators and the population pyramid to answer the following question:
Describe the characteristics of the population and identify the services necessary to serve these populations over the next 10 to 15 years. Be sure to define the discuss the implications of each of the following population characteristics for Sudan, Japan and the USA.
a) Birth rate
b) Death rate
c) Fertility rate
d) Infant mortality
e) Life expectancy
f) Natural increase
g) Net migration
Webliography: U.S. Census Bureau – www.census.gov
6) Given what we have learned about the Earth’s resources, discuss the statement, “There is no limit to Earth’s resources as human ingenuity will tend to solve any shortages.” How does this statement differ from Malthius and his point of view?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more