8 parts, read articles ask a question for each part, 1-5 sentence/part
9 times during the semester students will submit one question to the instructor. Questions should only be one to five sentences long, based in a weekly reading or readings, and MUST demonstrate a familiarity with the text(s). Questions will be marked as either 2.5 or 0, based on whether they show that the student has completed the reading(s).
1) Marx, Karl and Friedrich Engels. “The Ruling Class and the Ruling Ideas.” In Media and Cultural Studies Keyworks, edited by Meenakshi Gigi Durham and Douglas M. Kellner, 9 – 13. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, 2006.
2) Althusser Louis. “Ideology and Ideological State Apparatuses (Notes Towards and Investigation).” In Media and Cultural Studies Keyworks, edited by Meenakshi Gigi Durham and Douglas M. Kellner, 79 – 87. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, 2006.
3) Williams, Raymond. “Base and Superstructure in Marxist Cultural Theory.” In Media and Cultural Studies Keyworks, edited by Meenakshi Gigi Durham and Douglas M. Kellner, 130 – 143. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, 2006.
1) Hall, Stuart. “Encoding and Decoding in Television Discourse.” In Stuart Hall Essays: Volume One, 257 – 276, edited by David Morley. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2018.
2) Dorfman, Ariel and Armand Mattelart. How to Read Donald Duck: Imperialist Ideology in the Disney Comic, 48 – 69. I.G. Editions, 1991.
1) Bordwell, David, and Kristin Thompson. “The Shot: Mise-en-Scene.” In Film Art: An Introduction, 112 – 162. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2008.
2) Fiske, John. “Realism.” In Television Culture, 21 – 36. New York: Routledge, 1987.
1) Williams, Raymond. “The Technology and the Society.” In Television: Technology and Cultural Form, 1 – 26. London: Routledge, 1990.
2) Groening, Stephen. “From ‘a Box in the Theatre of the World’ to ‘the World as Your Living Room’: Cellular Phones, Television and Mobile Privatization.” New Media & Society 12.8 (2010): 1331 – 1347.
1) Herman, Edward, and Noam Chomsky. “A Propaganda Model,” 1 – 35. In Manufacturing Consent. New York: Pantheon Book, 2002.
2) Gunster, Shane. “Listening to Labour: Mainstream Media, Talk Radio, and the 2005 B.C. Teachers Strike.” Canadian Journal of Communication 33 (2008): 661 – 683.
1) Bordwell, David and Kristen Thompson. “Soviet Cinema in the 1920s. In Film History: An Introduction. Second edition, 119 – 142. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2003.
2) Braudy, Leo and Marshal Cohen. “Film Language.” In Film Theory and Criticism, 1 – 6. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
1) hooks, bell. “A Guiding Light: An Interview with Charles Burnett.” In Reel to Real: Race, Class, and Sex at the Movies, 192 – 215. New York: Routledge Classics, 2009.
2)Massood, Paula J. “An Aesthetic Appropriate to Conditions: Killer of Sheep, (Neo)Realism, and the Documentary Impulse.” Wide Angle 21 no. 4 (1999): 20 – 41.
1) Alters, Diane F. “‘We Hardly Watch that Rude, Crude Show’: Class and Taste in The Simpsons.” In Prime Time Animation, 165 – 184, edited by Carol Stabile, and Mark Harrison. New York: Routledge, 2003.
2) Sharzer, Greg. “Frank Grimes’ Enemy: Precarious Labour and Realism in The Simpsons.” Animation 12 no. 2 (2017): 138 – 155.
1) Carroll, Hamilton. “Men’s Soaps: Automotive Television Programming and Contemporary Working-Class Masculinities.” Television & New Media 9 no. 4 (2008) 263 – 283.
2) Lyle, Samantha. A. “(Mis)recognition and the Middle-Class/Bourgeois Gaze: A Case Study of Wife Swap.” Critical Discourse Studies 5 No. 4 (November 2008): 319 – 330.
Due May. 24
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more