1. What is a consequentialist ethical theory?
2. What is the difference between an end and a means?
3. What is an intuition pump?
4. What is utilitarianism? What is the principle of utility?
5. What is hedonism?
6. What is Jeremy Bentham’s hedonistic calculus? What characteristics of a pleasure or pain does it take into account?
7. How do Panza & Potthast understand Mill’s distinction between higher pleasures and lower pleasures? (NOTE: Panza & Potthast get it wrong! So we’ll be revisiting the issue when we read Mill.)
8. What does it mean to say that utilitarianism is an impartial ethical theory?
9. What is the greatest happiness principle?
10. What is the difference between act utilitarianism (the direct approach) and rule utilitarianism (the indirect approach)?
11. Why do some critics of utilitarianism say that justice and rights are not taken seriously enough by utilitarians?
12. What is the supererogatory, and why is this category a problem for utilitarianism?
13. Why do some critics of utilitarianism think that it threatens personal integrity?
14. What is negative responsibility, and what does it have to do with utilitarianism?
15. What knowledge problem does utilitarianism involve?
16. What does Mill mean by utilitarianism? On what theory of life is utilitarian ethical doctrine grounded?
17. How does Mill respond to the objection that pleasure-based morality is “swinish”? What is his doctrine concerning lower and higher pleasures, and how does he defend it?
18. According to Mill, why is nobleness of character important for utilitarian ethics?
19. How does Mill respond to the objection that genuine human happiness is impossible?
20. How does Mill respond to the objection that true moral heroism consists in self-renunciation (i.e., sacrificing one’s own happiness)?
21. What is the ideal of impartiality that Mill’s utilitarianism embraces? How can this ideal best be approached in human society?
22. How does Mill respond to the objection that utilitarianism sets too demanding a standard of morality?
23. How does Mill respond to the objection that utilitarianism is irreligious?
24. How does Mill respond to the objection that utilitarianism requires the sacrifice of principle to expediency?
25. How does Mill respond to the objection that utilitarianism is impractical because nobody can take time to weigh probable consequences for general happiness of every action before acting?
It's no longer good enough to create a high-quality product at a reasonable cost.
That is why we have created 9 compelling warranties to make your usage of our service pleasant, simple, and secure.
You must be completely confident in the quality of your products in order to provide a money-back guarantee. This is precisely how custom paper writing services work. We double-check that there are no hidden issues with this promise and that you are completely happy with the quality of your purchase.Read more
Our writers do not employ others’ writing tricks, because we are aware that plagiarism may cost a lot to our clients and take away their reputation.Read more
We want you to be satisfied with your order, so we offer a free revision policy. If you are not completely happy with your order, let us know and we will revise it for free.Read more
We care about our customers and always strive to keep their trust. That’s why Customwritingspapers.com guarantees privacy and safety of your personal information. To ensure total security, we take the following measures:Read more
Our team of editors works tirelessly to ensure that all papers meet our high standards for quality. They check for the instructions, grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes as well as for plagiarism.Read more
We would never want to jeopardize our relationship with you, and that is why we offer a fair-cooperation guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied with your order, you can always get your money back.Read more
We only hire the best, most qualified professionals to work on your order. Each writer is a degree holder with extensive experience in their field. You can be assured that your project will be handled by a true expert.Read more
Our quality assurance department ensures that each paper is of excellent quality before it is sent to you. You can be sure that your paper will meet all of the requirements that you set. Our experts are highly skilled and will follow your specific instructions to the letter.Read more
We have a highly professional and qualified customer support team that is available 24/24, 365 days a year. They will be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns that you may have about our company or products. You can contact them by phone, email, or chat on our website.Read more