SCI 228 Week 4 Midterm
1. (TCO 1) Which of the following BEST describes minerals?
2. (TCO 1) The two overarching goals of ________ are to increase quality and years of healthy life and to eliminate health disparities.
3. (TCO 1) What element makes protein different from carbohydrate and fat?
4. (TCO 1) For dinner, Bill consumes 255 grams of carbohydrate, 70 grams of protein, and 50 grams of fat. In addition, Bill decides that he wants a glass of wine with his meal. If he drinks one glass of wine containing 8 grams of alcohol, how many total kilocalories does he consume in this meal?
5. (TCO 1) Jose’s lunch contains 121 grams of carbohydrate, 40 grams of protein, and 25 grams of fat. What percent of kilocalories in this meal come from fat?
6. (TCO 1) Which of the following is an example of disease that is directly caused by a nutritional deficiency?
7. (TCO 2) Which of the following snacks will have the highest satiety value, assuming the calories and relative size are similar?
8. (TCO 2) The percent daily values (%DV) on food labels are based on the:
9. (TCO 2) The government agency that regulates food labeling in the United States is the:
10. (TCO 2) The standard used to estimate the daily nutrient needs of half of all healthy individuals is:
11. (TCO 2) The smallest units of matter that normally cannot be broken down are:
12. (TCO 2) The Dietary Guidelines to Americans has defined physically active as a:
13. (TCO 3) In which organ does the majority of water absorption occur?
14. (TCO 3) Which of the following would be an appropriate treatment approach for someone suffering from GERD?
15. (TCO 3) The first section of the small intestine is called the:
16. (TCO 3) Digestion and absorption occur at the ________ level.
17. (TCO 3) What is the term that describes the process in which nutrients pass through the wall of the gastrointestinal tract?
1. (TCO 4) In the absence of carbohydrate, ________ are produced from the incomplete breakdown of body fat.
2. (TCO 4) Without sufficient ________, the colon gets too little exercise and becomes weak.
3. (TCO 4) Diabetes is a condition in which the body doesn’t process ________ properly.
4. (TCO 4) After a meal, which hormone is responsible for moving glucose into the body’s cells?
5. (TCO 4) The term complex carbohydrates refers to:
6. (TCO 4) Which of the following carbohydrates is the end product of photosynthesis?
7. (TCO 4) Over 16 million Americans have diabetes. Which of the following is the most prevalent form of diabetes?
8. (TCO 4) In the body, the major storage sites for glycogen are the:
9. (TCO 1-6) All of the following are protective responses to encountering food-borne microbes EXCEPT:
10. (TCO 1-6) The main symptom associated with Clostridium botulinumintoxication is:
11. (TCO 1-6) An estimated ________ of all chicken eggs in the U.S. are contaminated with Salmonella.
12. (TCO 1-6) Which of the following additives gives ham, hot dogs, and bologna their pink color?
13. (TCO 1-6) Why do fungi rarely cause food infection?
14. (TCO 1-6) The primary symptom of Giardia infection is:
15. (TCO 1-6) The primary method used to preserve seafood is:
16. (TCO 1-6) Hepatitis A is a food-borne virus that can result in ________ damage.
17. (TCO 1-6) Bovine spongiform encephalopathy is a food-borne illness also known as:
1. (TCO 5) What is the primary form of lipid in the diet?
2. (TCO 5) Which of the following statements is FALSE regarding the process of hydrogenation?
3. (TCO 5) Which of the following ingredients would alert you to the presence of trans-fatty acids in a product?
4. (TCO 5) The two essential fatty acids are:
5. (TCO 5) The process of adding hydrogen to an unsaturated fatty acid and creating a more solid fat is called:
6. (TCO 5) To facilitate the digestion of dietary fats, the gallbladder stores and releases a substance known as:
7. (TCO 5) Where in the body are the majority of triglycerides stored for future energy needs?
8. (TCO 5) As of January 1, 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will require food manufacturers to list ________ content on the Nutrition Facts Panel of their products.
9. (TCO 6) The absorption of proteins occurs in the:
10. (TCO 6) Which of the following statements is FALSE?
11. (TCO 6) Two amino acids are joined together by a peptide bond to form a dipeptide. What is the by-product of this process?
12. (TCO 6) Which of the following health problems has been associated with high protein intakes?
13. (TCO 6) Which of the following is a genetic disorder resulting in debilitating protein abnormalities?
14. (TCO 6) The process through which mRNA copies genetic information from DNA and carries it to the ribosome is called:
15. (TCO 6) Proteases are:
16. (TCO 6) During the process of protein synthesis, ________ is the step in which messenger RNA is decoded into an amino acid sequence at the cell’s ribosome.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more