Unit 1 Discussion (HRM 330 Business Analytics)
Bringing Research To Life; Discuss the case scenario below.
• Jason and Sara are discussing an action taken by a potential new client and Jason’s response to that action.
♦ Jason has met with a potential client that wanted him to do something Jason found completely unethical: to conduct an exploratory research study into the proposed and planned activities of a competitor by using a false job-interview format to lure competitor’s employees seeking job advancement to the interviews—individuals who would be unlikely to volunteer to participate in such an interview if the true purpose was revealed.
♦Based on information gleaned from the actions of another executive, the computer peripheral manufacturer had sent out a request for proposal (RFP), requesting firms with focus-group facilities to submit proposals to conduct several taped, individual depth interviews. The hidden purpose of the interviews was to discover competitor’s growth plans. Supposedly, another firm had tried this and successfully lured one of its major competitor’s director of business development to apply for the fake position. In the context of the interview the executive had revealed information about his employer’s growth plans in Mexico.
♦ During the interview to determine if Henry and Associates will be awarded the contract for this research project, Jason discovers that the project is not as it was detailed in the RFP.
– He leaves the interview, withdrawing his proposal and taking his company’s physical proposal with him.
– He identifies the other companies vying for the project based on the proposals clearly visible on the manufacturer’s desk.
– He calls his counterpart at the other research companies and reveals the true purpose and design of the project being proposed.
•Some Additional Discussion Questions:
♦Who acted unethically here?
– Is it appropriate/inappropriate for a potential client (the computer peripheral manufacturer) to suggest a methodology to the person or firm it wants to do the actual research?
– Was it appropriate/inappropriate for Jason to withdraw the Henry and Associates proposal?
– Was it appropriate/inappropriate for Jason to use the visible covers of other research suppliers’ proposals to identify the other companies competing for the research contract.
– Was it appropriate/inappropriate for Jason to contact his counterpart at the identified research companies to alert them to the situation that he had discovered in the interview?
♦If research was done as the computer peripheral manufacturer suggested, what would be appropriate actions for competitors?
– Is there a basis for a fraud action by . . .
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more