SCI 220 WileyPLUS® Week 3 Quiz (***** 30/30 Correct *****)
1. Which of the following is not a good reason why some people may need to take supplements to meet certain nutrient needs?
· excess nutrient losses.
· increased nutrient needs.
· low nutrient intakes.
· to be free from worry about their food choices.
2. Vitamin D is important for bone health and may play a role in the increased risk of type 1 diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis, and high blood pressure in people who live at a latitude of greater than 40 degrees north or south. Individuals living at this latitude can obtain vitamin D from a few dietary sources, as well as:
· Synthesize it in the skin when exposed to sunlight throughout the year
· Synthesize it in the skin when exposed to sunlight from October through March
· Synthesize it in the skin when exposed to sunlight from April until October
· Synthesize it in the skin when exposed to sunlight only in December and January
3. The symptoms of vitamin C deficiency include gums that swell and bleed. Why does this occur?
· The lack of vitamin C allows bacteria in the mouth to irritate the gums.
· The lack of vitamin C decreases the pH of the mouth.
· There is reduced collagen synthesis.
· There is increased plaque formation around the gums.
4. This visual represents a toxicity of ______ leading the toxicity disease _______.
· beta-carotene, hypercarotenemia
· niacin, pellagra
· vitamin A, xerophthalmia
· vitamin D, rickets
5. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994 defined the term dietary supplement and
· created standards for manufacturing of supplements
· insures the safety and efficacy of supplements and herbs
· provided FDA with guidelines for restricting new supplements
· set standards for the labeling of supplements
6. Which of the following foods is the best source for vitamin B12?
· brown rice
7. Click here to view the How It Works animation.
Normal metabolic reactions like cellular respiration produce____. The body’s response to air pollution and cigarette smoke also produces these substances.
· free radicals
8. Which snack will help increase the level of the antioxidant Vitamin E in the diet?
· Salad with fat free poppy seed dressing
· Salad with fresh carrots, dried cranberries and fresh pear
· Salad with blue cheese, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries
· Salad with croutons, toasted coconut and fat free ranch dressing
9. Which of the following is NOT a fat soluble vitamin?
· vitamin A
· vitamin C
· vitamin D
· vitamin E
10. Which of the following is NOT a symptom of pellagra?
11. Click here to view the How It Works animation.
Riboflavin is a cofactor for the reaction in which ___split into fatty acids and glycerol in the cytosol to prepare for entry into metabolic pathways
12. Which of the following foods would be the best source for vitamin E?
· Sunflower seeds
· Low-fat yogurt
13. Why would extra folate in the diet raise some concerns?
· Because it may increase the risk of spina bifida.
· Because it may hide a vitamin B12 deficiency.
· Because extra folate can cause a rash.
· Because folate and vitamin B12 are needed to convert homocysteine to methionine.
14. Which of the following statements is true regarding this structure?
· Vitamin E would be incorporated into this micelle for transport to the brush border.
· Niacin would be incorporated into this chylomicron for absorption into the blood capillary.
· Vitamin A would be incorporated into this chylomicron for transport to the microvilli.
· None of these statements are true regarding the highlighted structure.
15. View this video.
Many people take dietary supplements because they believe they can help them live longer, healthier lives. However, the meta-analysis of 67 clinical trials indicates that:
· None of the supplements reduced mortality risk.
· Vitamin A and beta carotene and vitamin E increase mortality risk and Vitamin C and selenium reduced mortality risk.
· All supplements increased mortality risk.
16. When the hormone calcitonin is activated, blood calcium levels will
· not change.
17. Which of the following does not increase the need for water?
· a low-salt diet.
· a low-calorie diet.
· a high-fiber diet.
· increased exercise.
18. Outward symptoms of hypertension include:
· chest pain.
· There are no outward symptoms of hypertension.
19. Most people in the US need to _____ their sodium intake and _____ their potassium intake to meet recommendations for a healthy diet.
· increase, increase
· increase, decrease
· decrease, increase
· decrease, decrease
20. Which of the following does not inhibit the absorption of calcium?
· Vitamin D
21. Water serves all of the following body functions except:
· As a solvent
· As a transportation medium for nutrients
· As a hormone for acid base balance
· As a regulator of body temperature
22. _____ enhances the bioavailability of non-heme iron.
· Vitamin C
· Vitamin D
23. When blood calcium levels are low, parathyroid hormone will
· not change.
24. The earth is the source of all nutrients required for basic human nutrition. Therefore, which of the following statements is most accurate in regards to meeting your body’s mineral needs?
· Foods grown in soil, such as grains, vegetables and fruit are the only source of minerals
· Foods grown in the soil, such as grains, vegetables and fruit must be processed with added minerals in order to obtain the required mineral recommendations
· Minerals can be obtained from foods grown in the soil, such as grains, vegetables and fruit, as well as from animals that eat these foods
· Minerals are best consumed as a supplement since the natural sources are in very small quantities
25. Which of the following is not a trace mineral?
26. A healthy blood pressure is _____ mm of mercury.
27. As foods are processed, they often gain _____ and lose _____.
· sodium; potassium
· potassium; chloride
· iron; sodium
· magnesium; potassium
28. Because selenium is part of the enzyme glutathione-peroxidase, it _____ the body’s need for vitamin E.
· has no effect on
29. Outward symptoms of hypertension include which of the following?
· Flushed face
· Migraine headache
· Impaired vision
· There are no outward symptoms.
30. In general, minerals in plant foods have an absorption rate that is _______ than that in animal foods.
· the same
SCI 220 Wiley PLUS Week 3 Quiz
SCI220 SCI/220 WileyPLUS® Week 3 Quiz
WileyPLUS® Week 3 Quiz
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more